When you think of dental health, you probably are thinking of just teeth, mouth, and gums. You may think of all the times you’ve been reminded to brush and floss and that is it. Brush and floss and you’re fine. But this is only partly true.
There is a new idea in the dental community called the oral systemic link which refers to the connection between the health of your mouth and your body. Dr. Samaha at Port Warwick Dental Arts uses this holistic practice concept in the way she formulates a custom-designed treatment plan for each of her patients. This concept is also referred to as biological dentistry, and practitioners may be referred to as a biologic dentist.
Holistic dentistry means that your dentist will give you suggestions and treatment that can affect your overall health, not just your dental health. A biological dentist, also known as a holistic dentist, operates according to the belief system that your teeth are an integral part of your body and hence your overall health. Biological dentistry recognizes that your oral and dental health can have a major influence on other disease processes in your body.
Some of the tenets of biological dentistry, or holistic dentistry, include:
- Encouraging proper nutrition that can prevent or reverse degenerative dental disease such as gum disease.
- Avoiding and safely eliminating the use of toxins from dental care, and not using mercury-based materials for filling cavities.
- Treating and preventing dental malocclusion; this means bite problems. An imbalanced bite can signal a physical imbalance in the rest of the body. In fact, it can actually contribute to body imbalances since the bite can be thought of as the beginning of the spinal column.
- Preventing or treating gum disease nonsurgically and at its biological basis, using a multifaceted approach such as an easy home care regimen, targeted nutritional supplementation, non-surgical ultrasonic treatments along with gentle laser therapy–an excellent procedure that can help your gums and soft tissue get healthy quickly and remain disease-free.
- Evaluating and treating you for breathing issues such as snoring and sleep apnea, in collaboration with a Board Certified Sleep Physician and with a small oral appliance as opposed to a bulky CPAP machine.
The idea of holistic dentistry is simple. Healthy mouth, healthy body. Healthy body, healthy mouth.
Your biological dentist Dr. Samaha and her caring, well-trained team are excited to give you this important information on holistic dentistry and partner with you to give you the most beautiful healthy smile ever and to help you have the best overall health, too. Call today to learn more about biological dentistry.